dotCMS in 2024: Unique Features and Capabilities
By Ryan O'Dell
Enterprises need access to tools to help them manage the entire digital customer journey across multiple channels. This means publishing content to sleek and user-friendly websites while maintaining a unified presence across mobile, social platforms, and other digital touchpoints.
As a leading hybrid CMS, dotCMS offers both headless and traditional content management capabilities that facilitate those requirements. This article will highlight its unique features and how it stands out in the evolving CMS landscape of 2024 and beyond.
Uncomplicated Content Management
dotCMS is a content management system that global enterprises can use to create, manage, and publish content at scale. By using dotCMS, businesses can manage all content and assets in a central location and deliver them to any channel, whether a website, customer portal, employee intranet, or other content application.
dotCMS is a hybrid CMS, meaning that teams can launch applications headlessly and publish to various channels or with a traditional approach to manage a single channel easily. While marketers can use no-code visual editing tools to manage and reuse content across different pages and channels, developers can build whatever application they want using the platform’s API-first model and integrate it with other tools in their tech stack.
How dotCMS Delivers Enterprise Content Experiences
Enterprises can empower various departments and teams using dotCMS’ broad array of features. Here are some capabilities that set dotCMS apart from other CMSs on the market.
Developers can architect the solution they need for a particular use case by leveraging dotCMS’ scalability and adaptability. Everything from an out-of-box setup to a custom deployment or headless solution is available.
- Headless Content Management: dotCMS is an API-first CMS offering content as infrastructure philosophy. Using this approach, developers can create, update, and retrieve content and assets before publishing across devices and adapt to any new channel as it emerges.
- Ease of Development and Setup: dotCMS offers out-of-the-box functionality, flexibility, and customizability. It enables developers to build new content types quickly and leverage multiple integrations, SDKs, and APIs to support different use cases.
- Structured Content: With NoCode content modeling and an intuitive content type builder, teams can create and edit any content type to meet their business requirements. Developers can also use tags, categories, and relationships to build complex and meaningful taxonomies that drive desired business outcomes using both NoCode/LowCode development.
- Workflows and Approval: Enterprises require sophisticated content governance and workflows. dotCMS allows teams to build and manage custom multi-step workflows using drag-and-drop tools. They can also leverage robust approval processes that require two or more approvals before publishing and use trigger actions to streamline things.
- Interoperability and Extensibility: dotCMS seamlessly integrates with numerous third-party tools. Developers can find integrations using dotCMS Apps or custom build them using REST APIs, GraphQL, OSGi Plugins, or webhooks.
- API Playground: The API playground offers developers a sandbox to experiment with APIs and learn more about dotCMS.
Marketers can leverage dotCMS to take full control of their content and go to market faster.
- Page Building: dotCMS provides a NoCode page builder and layout designer, allowing marketers to create, edit, and manage pages using a drag-and-drop interface. The visual SPA editor (Edit Mode Anywhere) enables teams to edit single-page and other web applications in the same user-friendly environment. They can also rely on inline editing to see changes made in real-time while updating content.
- Personalization: Businesses can personalize content for different audiences using dotCMS. The content targeting and personalization module enables dynamic and personalized experiences by defining personas based on various characteristics. Additionally, the Rules Engine allows teams to add simple and complex rules to set specific conditions for when certain content is viewed.
- Microsites & Multi-tenancy: dotCMS is a multi-tenant CMS, meaning businesses can use a single software instance for multiple websites or applications. Teams can easily manage multiple sites, each with its own users, branding, and content, or create microsites for different campaigns.
- Multilingual & Localization: Teams using dotCMS are able to leverage multilingual and granular localization capabilities to publish content in multiple languages and configure content based on a user’s geographic location. This includes integrating third-party translation engines and services.
- A/B Testing & Experiments: Marketing teams can easily create multiple content variants across channels. With the NoCode editor, they can design different layouts and landing pages to determine which resonates with the audience.
As an enterprise-grade CMS, dotCMS offers the security and scalability capabilities that DevOps teams require to ensure maximum performance.
- Scalability & Performance: dotCMS ensures peak content performance with a resilient infrastructure. It is completely containerized and offers 99.98 uptime. There is no throttling of APIs or rate limits, and built-in caching is included to guarantee performance when it matters.
- Security & Compliance: Maintaining the highest security standards and protocols is necessary for enterprise businesses. dotCMS guarantees security with various industry-leading certifications, including SOC2, ISO27001, TXRAMP, and CAIQ. It also offers extensive security and access control features, a robust AWS infrastructure, and various DevOps security capabilities, including monitoring and vulnerability testing.
- Integrated CDN: dotCMS leverages BunnyWay to provide a secure and scalable content delivery network. dotCMS CDN analyzes requests in real time based on content and network metrics and stores copies of files on the CDN to ensure maximum performance.
- Flexible Deployments: dotCMS offers three deployment options so enterprises can choose what works best for their IT/DevOps teams. This includes dotCMS Cloud, a fully managed platform as a service (PaaS) offering on AWS infrastructure; Cloud Anywhere, enabling teams to deploy to their own cloud; or On-Premises hosting, which gives enterprises complete control over the infrastructure.
- SLAs & Support: dotCMS’ professional support provides ongoing hands-on guidance and assistance to address any issues that may arise and help businesses maintain the best performance levels possible.
Across the Enterprise
Forward-thinking enterprises need access to innovative features to drive engaging content experiences.
- Artificial Intelligence: dotCMS has embedded AI into several different features to assist marketers and developers. This includes providing easily accessible AI tools into Themes and Templates, Containers and Widgets, and the ability to code and customize applications using Custom Content Files and Workflows.
Making the Difference with dotCMS and Content Bloom
dotCMS is a robust enterprise CMS that allows businesses to create and manage digital experiences across multiple channels in 2024 and beyond. It includes features to support the entire organization, from developers to marketers and everyone in between.
To get the most out of dotCMS and maximize its headless and omnichannel capabilities, it helps to have the support of a knowledgeable partner. Content Bloom is an enterprise digital agency and dotCMS partner. We offer the technical and business expertise necessary to build modern web experiences, migrate content from another CMS, implement structured content, and integrate other features.
A Bulgarian telecommunications company was undergoing a digital transformation. The transformation would include upgrading to a modern CMS and launching a new website. The company selected dotCMS as its new CMS due to its easy configuration, rapid content type creation, and a selection of modern approaches to templating and managing content.
Content Bloom was chosen to assist with the project due to our expertise in dotCMS. The team delivered full end-to-end service from Discovery, UI/UX design services, implementation, and content migration to 24/7 support via Managed IT Services.
Discover what’s possible with dotCMS and get help from Content Bloom by contacting us.
Get the latest industry news, articles, and updates.
(No junk. Just the good stuff.)
Content Commerce and Why It’s the Future of Ecommerce Engagement
Customers today don’t choose products simply because they have the best price or the most reviews. They side with brands that can tell a story, educate, inspire, and entertain them. To do that, businesses must be able to leverage content to help promote their products and generate conversions for their commerce initiatives. When combined, content […]
dotCMS 2024 Product Updates
dotCMS presented their product updates in 2023 and new features coming in 2024.
Revolutionizing Large-Scale Content Management: Procedural Content Libraries
Drive innovation through streamlined content management practices.