What is SDL Web 8?
By Josh Hebb
What is SDL Web 8?
SDL Web 8 is a suite of products used together to generate an all-in-one global Web Experience Management solution. The suite provides tools and capabilities that are needed to create an engaged and personal digital experience for your customers.
SDL Web is comprised of four solution areas to create an optimized online experience and help with marketing, IT, and business:
- Web Content Management (SDL Tridion)
- Experience Optimization (SDL SmartTarget and Mobile)
- Digital Media Management (SDL Media Manager)
- Localization (Translation Manager Connector)
Collectively, all of the four entities are used to create an optimized online experience.
Web 8 New Capabilities
SDL added a ton of new enhancements and capabilities with an added emphasis to simplify, increase acceleration, extend Cloud and deployment capabilities, and total cost of ownership (TCO).
- Bundle various modules into a single SDL Web offering and rename products
- All capabilities are easily accessible in a unified user interface
- Accelerate time-to-market for tasks such as translation and launching new sites
- Flexible BluePrinting model with adjustable hierarchy positioning and the ability to promote and demote items
- Speed up IT tasks related to web development and deployment
- Instant Site Wizard automatically creates publication, add mappings, etc. and the site is ready to publish with no need for IT to intervene
Cloud & Deployment
- Extended support for cloud and dynamic server (re) configuration
- Native support for cloud databases
- Topology Manager -the objective is to simplify and provide predefined delivery server topologies
- Publishing now happens “by purpose” (Staging, Live) rather than to a specific target
Total Cost of Ownership
- Carry out upgrades much faster and simple
- Cloud DB Support, such as Microsoft SQL Server on Azure
Some Tridion users are probably wondering, “What in the heck is the reasoning behind the 8 in SDL Web 8?” We’re glad you asked. The ‘8’ is a direct reflection of the SDL Tridion version history. For example, SDL Tridion 2011 is known as version 6, SDL Tridion 2013, version 7.
The release of SDL Web 8 is expected to happen during the fourth quarter of 2015.
In conclusion, SDL Web 8 is a suite of products that were created to enhance a user’s experience with the use of an all-in-one Web Experience Management online solution.. The new capabilities are added for users to simplify, increase acceleration, extend Cloud and deployment capabilities, and total cost of ownership (TCO).
Upgrading from SDL Tridion to SDL Web 8
Content Bloom is an experienced SDL implementation partner. We perform upgrades and integrations for all versions of SDL’s product suite. Contact one of our SDL Tridion project managers to discuss your SDL Web 8 Upgrade.
Content Bloom experience in Content Management Systems
Content Bloom designs and implements large-scale web solutions using enterprise content management systems and cutting-edge technologies to provide measurable value to clients worldwide. Contact us to find out more about expertise and experience in SDL.
Monitoring RWS Micro Services via JMX and JConsole
Let’s talk tech. In this post, we outline how to set up the profiling of an RWS Spring Boot Micro Service for monitoring the memory, threads, classes, and MBeans. What is Profiling? Profiling is the process of analyzing your application’s memory consumption, CPU usage, frequency of function calls, cache monitoring, and more! It’s essentially a […]
How We Know It’s Time to Simplify Your Governance Model
A proper governance model ensures all of your hard work and best practices continue to serve you well.
Tridion Docs — How to Publish Content as Downloadable Formats
Let’s have a look on how to publish and download content as a PDF in Tridion DOCS.