Top 20 New Features Introduced in Tridion Sites 9
By John Winter
RWS has recently launched the much-awaited version of their flagship web content management system Tridion Sites 9 as part of their Tridion DX suite.
Tridion Sites is a scalable enterprise-wide web content management system that provides unparalleled multilingual, omni-channel and multi-brand capabilities.
Tridion Sites 9 offers interoperability with the broader digital experience ecosystem through robust open APIs and connectors plus it offers web content management with personalization, targeting, A/B testing, and localization for high impact digital experiences.
Tridion Sites comes with few exciting new features – below is a snapshot of top 20 new features introduced in the new CMS:
- Content Mashup: Tridion Sites 9 can be integrated with Tridion Docs to fetch content from both products and display them together on the same webpage.
- Headless CMS: Tridion Sites 9 provides REST-based APIs that returns JSON objects. This allows user experience delivered through frameworks such as Angular and React.
- Connector Framework: Tridion Sites 9 provides a “Connector Framework” to felicitate integration with multiple third-party platforms
- Alibaba Cloud Support: Tridion Sites 9 supports Alibaba Cloud to offer web hosting in China
- Docker Support: Docker Containerization support for micro-services allows cloud orchestration easier and simpler
- Page Regions: These logical areas in a Page allows to have a better content authoring experience and allows to have restrictions like what component presentation, how many component presentations etc. are allowed in a specific region of the page.
- Image Editing: Content Authors now can do basic image editing (for jpg and png only) with in the multimedia components. Following actions can be done: Crop, Resize, Flip, and Rotate.
- Improved XPM Features: XPM improvements includes – Image Editing, easier selection of multiple components to insert, more customization in Start Region tag etc.
- TTM Health Check: You can check the health of the Topology Manager including connectivity to corresponding database by hitting an anonymous endpoint – http://<TTM Website Host URL>/ttmhealth/check
A response of – 200 OK – would mean it is up and running.
- Powershell cmdlets for undo packages: Get-TcmUndoPackages and Remove-TcmUndoPackages, allows you to get and delete, respectively, undo packages stored in the system’s application data, mostly generated by the content porter and/or import-export service
- High Availability Search: You can setup Tridion Sites 9 search indexes in cloud as a master/slave setup, allowing failover and high availability.
- SAML 2.0 Support: SAML 2.0 allows to have a better, updated, and flexible SSO implementation in Tridion Sites 9
- Duplicate Items in Bundle: This ensure a better experience when items are added multiple times in a Bundle and avoid a check on what all items already exists in the Bundle
- UGC Threaded Comments: User Generated Content (UGC) in Tridion Sites 9 allows to have threaded comments in place of necessarily a flat list.
- UGC Enhanced Filter Comments: UGC in Tridion Sites 9 introduced new ways to paginate, traverse and filter comments and comment threads
- Public Content API: This is a new API based on GraphQL API query language and available as GraphQL endpoints for the Content Service and Session-enabled Content Service.
- Micro-services Health Check: Tridion Sites 9 allows to check the health of micro-services by using /health URL. For Example: Discovery Service health can be checked as: http://localhost:8082/health
- Micro-services Info Check: Tridion Sites 9 allows to check the information like version, description etc. of micro-services by using /info URL. For Example: Discovery Service info can be checked as: http://localhost:8082/info
- Elastic Search in XO: Experience Optimization (XO) now uses Elastic Search instead of Fredhopper for “Storing” and “Retrieval” of data.
- XO Powershell cmdlets: These PowerShell cmdlets to allows easy management of various aspects of the solution, including page regions and trigger types.
Lift and Shift Migration: Tridion to Adobe Experience Manager
Tridion and AEM both are mature enterprise-level CMSs serving customers to achieve specific digital goals.
Tridion Docs 15: Boosting Productivity and Quality
Tridion Docs 15 streamlines workflows, enhances security, optimizes performance, and paves the way for future advancements.
End-of-Life Announcement for Alchemy Webstore and Alchemy for Tridion
As of February 2023, the Alchemy Webstore will no longer be available to upload/download Alchemy plugins.