Top 20 New Features Introduced in Tridion Sites 9
By John Winter
RWS has recently launched the much-awaited version of their flagship web content management system Tridion Sites 9 as part of their Tridion DX suite.
Tridion Sites is a scalable enterprise-wide web content management system that provides unparalleled multilingual, omni-channel and multi-brand capabilities.
Tridion Sites 9 offers interoperability with the broader digital experience ecosystem through robust open APIs and connectors plus it offers web content management with personalization, targeting, A/B testing, and localization for high impact digital experiences.
Tridion Sites comes with few exciting new features – below is a snapshot of top 20 new features introduced in the new CMS:
- Content Mashup: Tridion Sites 9 can be integrated with Tridion Docs to fetch content from both products and display them together on the same webpage.
- Headless CMS: Tridion Sites 9 provides REST-based APIs that returns JSON objects. This allows user experience delivered through frameworks such as Angular and React.
- Connector Framework: Tridion Sites 9 provides a “Connector Framework” to felicitate integration with multiple third-party platforms
- Alibaba Cloud Support: Tridion Sites 9 supports Alibaba Cloud to offer web hosting in China
- Docker Support: Docker Containerization support for micro-services allows cloud orchestration easier and simpler
- Page Regions: These logical areas in a Page allows to have a better content authoring experience and allows to have restrictions like what component presentation, how many component presentations etc. are allowed in a specific region of the page.
- Image Editing: Content Authors now can do basic image editing (for jpg and png only) with in the multimedia components. Following actions can be done: Crop, Resize, Flip, and Rotate.
- Improved XPM Features: XPM improvements includes – Image Editing, easier selection of multiple components to insert, more customization in Start Region tag etc.
- TTM Health Check: You can check the health of the Topology Manager including connectivity to corresponding database by hitting an anonymous endpoint – http://<TTM Website Host URL>/ttmhealth/check
A response of – 200 OK – would mean it is up and running.
- Powershell cmdlets for undo packages: Get-TcmUndoPackages and Remove-TcmUndoPackages, allows you to get and delete, respectively, undo packages stored in the system’s application data, mostly generated by the content porter and/or import-export service
- High Availability Search: You can setup Tridion Sites 9 search indexes in cloud as a master/slave setup, allowing failover and high availability.
- SAML 2.0 Support: SAML 2.0 allows to have a better, updated, and flexible SSO implementation in Tridion Sites 9
- Duplicate Items in Bundle: This ensure a better experience when items are added multiple times in a Bundle and avoid a check on what all items already exists in the Bundle
- UGC Threaded Comments: User Generated Content (UGC) in Tridion Sites 9 allows to have threaded comments in place of necessarily a flat list.
- UGC Enhanced Filter Comments: UGC in Tridion Sites 9 introduced new ways to paginate, traverse and filter comments and comment threads
- Public Content API: This is a new API based on GraphQL API query language and available as GraphQL endpoints for the Content Service and Session-enabled Content Service.
- Micro-services Health Check: Tridion Sites 9 allows to check the health of micro-services by using /health URL. For Example: Discovery Service health can be checked as: http://localhost:8082/health
- Micro-services Info Check: Tridion Sites 9 allows to check the information like version, description etc. of micro-services by using /info URL. For Example: Discovery Service info can be checked as: http://localhost:8082/info
- Elastic Search in XO: Experience Optimization (XO) now uses Elastic Search instead of Fredhopper for “Storing” and “Retrieval” of data.
- XO Powershell cmdlets: These PowerShell cmdlets to allows easy management of various aspects of the solution, including page regions and trigger types.
End-of-Life Announcement for Alchemy Webstore and Alchemy for Tridion
As of February 2023, the Alchemy Webstore will no longer be available to upload/download Alchemy plugins.
How Does Tridion Work and What are the Benefits?
In this article, we’ll explain everything about this decoupled CMS and CCMS, and its benefits
What you missed at Day 1 of the Tridion Expert Summit 2021
Here’s a recap on the sessions around Semantic AI, BI practices, UI improvements in Sites 9.6, connector architecture, and more.